Tuesday, May 3, 2011

A post on sun...that turned into a rant.

Finally there is SUN! I can't believe how much better seeing the sun makes you feel. Lucy and I were able to get outside and go to the playground with her friend Lily and then we took a walk to get Happy Meals at the *Fry House* as Lucy likes to call it. 
Yes McDonald's. I'm not ashamed that I let Lucy have chicken nuggets and fries sometimes.  Normally I don't like mass facebook quotes, but there is one in particular that makes me smile. Not enough to re-post, only to blog about.

"My curfew was the street lights. My parents called my name, not my cell... I played outside with friends, not online. If I didn't eat what my parents cooked, then I didn't eat. Sanitizer didn't exist, but you COULD get your mouth washed out with soap. I rode a bike without helmet, getting dirty was OK, and neighbors gave a damn as much as your parents did. Re-post if you drank water from a garden hose & survived!"

As much as I want my child to not get sick, not ruin her clothes, be safe, etc I cannot handle how overboard our society has gone. I feel that moderation is the key; whether its regarding food, social activities, or structured activities. Lucy needs time to be a kid. Eat non-organic food, play outside in the mud with friends. She doesn't need to be involved in a different activity every night of the week nor does she need to be kept in the bubble to ensure germs do not enter her nose, land and her hands, etc. 

I look at myself and think I turned out pretty great (thanks mom!). Although maybe if I wouldn't have drank straight from the garden hose I would have had better grades in college...or maybe it was the beer that I drank DURING college.

No comments:

Post a Comment